Thursday 22 September 2011

‘Live Fear Free’ Campaign Launched in Wales


The Welsh government launched a new campaign against violence towards women on Tuesday, as one woman tells us her story.
Rebecca Jones


‘Live Fear Free’ is the new campaign launched by the Welsh government, with the support of Women’s Aid, on Tuesday September 13 in order to raise awareness and “challenge attitudes” towards violence against women. According to reports, one in five women in Wales are attacked by their partner.
Rebecca is a mother of three from South Wales, who sought help from Women’s Aid, after trying to escape a violent eight-year relationship. Alongside the Minister for Local Government and Communities, Carl Sergeant, Rebecca helped launch the Live Fear Free Campaign on Tuesday.
In an interview with The Fresh Outlook after the launch, Rebecca discussed her own abusive relationship and offered advice to other women who may be in a similar situation.
Rebecca explained that she lived with her ex husband for eight years and was subjected to numerous attacks during that time.
“He would attack and hurt me, and I once ended up in hospital when I was pregnant with my son, and even the doctor realised what was going on, and that shocked me.”
Eventually, Rebecca found the courage to allow the police to press charges against her husband and he was subsequently sent to prison. She and her children then moved to new address that was unknown to her husband.
For Rebecca, her children were her main priority and it was her concern for them that made her take action.
“He would hurt me and blame it on the painkillers he was taking at the time, but when the police and social services became involved … I realised that there was no way I was going to lose my children, and that I had to do something. I didn’t want my children growing up thinking it was normal to be treated that way. People who treat people like he hurt me should be punished.”
However, with the help of Women’s Aid, Rebecca was able to find the support she needed and share her experiences with others and she encourages other women to do the same.
“Women’s Aid really helped me. They placed me in refuge and their outreach programme helped me move into a new house quite quickly.”
The help she received from Women’s Aid made Rebecca determined to try and help other women in a similar situation to her own, which is why she became involved with the Live Fear Free Campaign. “I was really interested in helping in any way I could and [being] able to help others,” she said.
Now that she has managed to overcome the abuse that she suffered and provide a stable environment for her children, Rebecca is keen to share her experiences and offer some important advice:
“It is important for women to take time for themselves, to stand up on [their] own two feet, and realise that [they] can do things. I was always told by my ex partner that I can’t look after the children or do this and that, but I realised I could without him. There’s lots of help and support out there. You need to take time to heal, and then you can regain your independence and move on.”
For advice and support, visit www.livefearfree.org.uk or call 0808 8010 800.
By Bethan Hâf Marsh
[Image courtesy of the Welsh government]

No comments:

Post a Comment